A transverse wave can be demonstrated using a rope. Describe how the hand must move to make a transverse wave of frequency 5 Hz.
- For a transverse wave to move from left to right, the hand must move in a to and fro motion vertically.
- There should be 5 oscillations of the hand in 1 second.
A wave travels in a medium with a certain speed. What must be done to double the wavelength of the wave in the same medium?
- Since the wave is in the same medium, the speed does not change.
- From speed of wave = frequency x wavelength, the source of the wave should be at half the frequency in order to achieve a doubled wavelength.
Describe what happens to water waves as it travel from a deep to shallow region.
- When water wave travels from a deep to shallow region, its speed is slowed down while its frequency remains constant.
- Since speed of wave = frequency x wavelength, the wavelength will decrease too.