This section covers the following syllabus (Physics 5059) requirements.
- show understanding that all physical quantities consist of a numerical magnitude and a unit
- recall the following base quantities and their units: mass (kg), length (m), time (s), current (A), temperature (K), amount of substance (mol)
- use the following prefixes and their symbols to indicate decimal sub-multiples and multiples of the SI units: nano (n), micro (μ), milli (m), centi (c), deci (d), kilo (k), mega (M), giga (G)
- show an understanding of the orders of magnitude of the sizes of common objects ranging from a typical atom to the Earth
- state what is meant by scalar and vector quantities and give common examples of each