1. State the properties which are common to all forms of electromagnetic radiation.
- All are transverse waves.
- All travel with the same speed, 3 x 10^8 m/s in vacuum.
- They all obey the wave equation:
- They can be reflected or refracted
- They transports energy.
2. How do the frequency, wavelength and speed of electromagnetic waves change when it enters from air to glass?
- When an EM wave enters glass, its speed is slowed down while its frequency remains constant.
Since, the wavelength will decrease too.
3. State one difference between waves of red light and waves of blue light.
Red light has a longer wavelength (or lower frequency) than blue light.
4. State 3 ways in which an electromagnetic wave differs from the sound wave.
- Longitudinal waves
- Travel at an approximate speed of 330m/s through air
- Needs a medium to travel, cannot travel through vacuum
- Transverse waves
- Travel at an approximate speed of 3 x 10^8 m/s through air
- Does not need any medium to travel. Can travel through a vacuum